Is White Rice Good For Your Health? - healthglob.com
 
 

Welcome to Healthglob.com/ | Health News & Tips

healthglob.com

October 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Menu

Published on March 7, 2017 at 4:35 am

Is White Rice Good For Your Health?

white-rice-good-health

White Rice is a food staple for most of the world’s population, and lots of cultures eat rice for various meals every day. Even though white rice is produced through a refining process that eliminates much of the essential nutritional factors,it still gives us with many nutrients and health advantages through the diet. So, is white rice good or bad for us? This is one question that bothers most of us. Most of the people say that brown rice is a healthier option over white rice.However,is it true?Do you prefer white or brown rice?If you want an answer to your question, then read on and find more about it.
White Rice:
_
1
_
White rice is a form of rice which is quite famous and is used by many people from various cultures. We get the white rice when the rice bran is removed from the rice,and it gets polished.It has various advantages and comprises of 90% carbohydrates, with the remaining 10% comprising of 8% protein and 2% fat.

Brown Rice:
_
2
_
This one is the naturally occurring form of rice and is brown in colour. This rice is not processed and includes most of the bran, which is the nutrient-rich portion of this type of rice. It also contains a lesser percentage of carbohydrates but has a higher percentage of fat when compared with the white rice.

Is White Rice Healthy To Eat?
Regarding the nutrient content of both the kinds of rice, brown rice is much healthier and a better option than the white rice. But, that is not it to conclude that the Brown Rice is, in fact, healthier than white rice.To obtain an objective view, we have to look at some fundamental differences between white and brown rice.

White rice is the rice which is polished, and the bran and the germ are removed from it. On the other hand, brown rice still has the bran and the germ. The germ can go stale quite quickly, and the larger amount of polyunsaturated fatty acid is oxidised easily, which points to many adverse effects in the body. This basically means that all the nutrient-rich bran can drive to potentially severe symptoms.
Brown rice contains more dietary fibre than white rice. The bran is what contains the highest concentration of fibre. This can be regarded as an excellent addition to people who do not eat fibre, for individuals who have adequate fibre in the diet need to watch out. Excess fibre can drive to intestinal gas, bloating and abdominal cramps.
_
3
_
Brown rice also consists of various anti-nutrients, which are substances that hinder the absorption of nutrients and drive out nutrients from tissues and muscles. So, the sword is double-edged, as with brown rice you obtain more nutrients and more anti-nutrients as well.
Normally Phytic acid is the principal anti-nutrient that we generally eliminate by soaking brown rice. But, studies infer that phytic acid still stays in the bran even after soaking brown rice for around 20 minutes or even more.

White rice has frequently been put down because of the large amount of starch it holds. Health-activists jump the gun while informing you that starch is pretty unhealthy for the body. The keyword here is excess. Starch is considerably necessary for the body, and you, like most of the other humans depend on starch for essential nutrition. As long as you aren’t consuming only white rice, the amount of starch shouldn’t affect your body in a harsh way.

Starch is linked with breaking the glucose down, and it adds to an increase in insulin levels, which can swiftly intensify to insulin resistance. Nevertheless, we require glucose to function. Glucose that we receive from starch and carbohydrates do not drive to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is produced by the cells’ inability to absorb glucose.

The Conclusion:
_
5
_
Brown rice is nutrient rich and comprises of a number of dietary fibre. But, the notable footprint of antinutrients such as phytic acid, which restrain mineral absorption, does not make it a healthier choice than white rice. As a matter of fact, these properties only help to highlight how white rice is healthier than brown rice. White rice does not include the excess PUFAs; neither does it comprise of germs that turn rancid fast.
_
4
_
White rice is unquestionably healthy for you. Hence, you don’t have to worry and consume that bowl of white rice you have been dodging for so long. If you use brown rice or know somebody who does, you can inform them about this message.